Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Your Mercies are New Every Morning

I took my first Christian History test today. Everything from Jesus to 1204 . . . no big deal. Actually, I was thankful to find my hours of studying paid off or at least I think it did.

Seminary has been incredible, but I must admit that there have been few if any days I have left history and scriptures classes encouraged by humanity.

Ever read through the Old Testament? I'll be honest, I've never sat down and read books through the way they are meant to be read.

Holy cow. I.t. i.s. a.w.f.u.l.

Story after story God's people, people he loves and forgives over and over again, people he delivers and rescues when they whine and cry only to forget him mere verses later, fill the pages. Want to read about incest, horrific rape, brutal violence, adultery, and every other awful thing you can think of? Don't go rent a R-rated film, read the Old Testament. Humanity . . . we're not looking so good.

Christian history . . . not any better. Fights, torture, schism.

It has left me noticing myself in the stories and wanting to hide. At the same time, it has helped me realize that our universal church is not in a new "off and lost" place. Rather, we are in the same place we have always been; making choices that bring us away from the Trinity, choosing (like the Israelites) to worship other Gods (money, work, "success") and so quickly forgetting the one who came to restore us.

Although the track record of Christians is hardly impressive, I have been overwhelmed by the undeniable grace, patience, and unconditional love God has and continues to give to his lost, selfish, conditional children.

Praise you God, for your mercies ARE new every morning and I would surely not survive without them.

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

i remember feeling so frustrated with the israelites after my "intro to the old testament" class every day last year. i didn't understand how they could continue to turn away from a God that was providing so much for them and had done exactly what they had asked Him to do.

then I had a realization one day. the israelites are me. us. humanity. wow.

praise Him for grace.