Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Question That Rocked My Education...

Today in my scriptures II class we discusses the book of Amos. Have you ever read Amos? It's only 9 short chapters, you should stop and read it now. Seriously, I need you to stop and read it now, so you can help me out with this question.

Done?

Okay.

God's pretty angry, yeah? Talks through the prophet Amos about bringing plagues and droughts and other horrible things on the people God is rather angry with.

This text did not sit well with me, simply because in my personal relationship with God I haven't known God to be extremely angry. I found my feelings confusing and hard to explain, but a classmate of mine did not and asked the most intense question I have encountered thus far in my seminary journey.

I would say most Jesus followers (or at least the ones I know) do not assert that God causes bad things to happen. But, if you read Amos, you see very clearly that God is taking full credit for bringing bad things upon God's people. Wouldn't that then mean that God does in fact cause (or at least has caused in the passed) bad things to happen?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

steve said...

Assuming Amos was not "God breathed," maybe the author (or series of authors over time) made sense of Israel's condition and demise the only way they knew how...the "God's" are angry and must be appeased.
Just a thought.....

barefoot new yorker said...

I think its good to think hard about scriptures. I would say you really should evaluate 'what' God is doing. Is it 'bad'?