Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

Maggie and Ellen : A Birth Story - Part 3

-->
I once heard a midwife speak of labor as a woman’s greatest battle. Each woman approaches and responds to labor differently. We bring different hopes, fears, and experiences to this life-changing event. We stand at the edge of this painfully beautiful moment and decide who we will be as we birth little lives into the world.

Here it was, my moment to choose.

Who would I be?

How would I respond?

“What?!” Ray says.
“There’s no way. How can that even be possible?”

An understandable question my husband raised as I explained several days postpartum that I spent the first 20+ minutes faking my pushing efforts.

“What do you mean, how is that possible?” I smile.
“I’m a doula. I know what a pushing momma looks like. You hold your breath, tuck your chin, and pretend to push.”

I can’t help but laugh. He’s totally scandalized and a bit impressed.

A little more than 20 minutes - that’s how long it took for me to choose to surrender my girls.

I hadn’t eaten in over 24 hours. I was sick and exhausted and knew what working with rather than against my body meant.  

My doulas gently reminded me that pushing was my choice, though the girls would be born no matter what. Ray showered me with encouragement. Taryn turned the Beauty Will Rise album back on. Brandy placed Valor on my neck and chest (thank you, Young Living Oils).

And that was it; that mix of moments.

Something clicked and I starting pushing.

Ellen was born breech, thank you love, at 7:31pm.

Dr. Eppard held her up, the neonatal Dr. looked at me, and I sat there in shock.

 “That’s all? That’s all of her? She’s the big twin?”

No. There was no way she could possibly survive. She was long, but tiny – not even the width of the palm of my hand. 

Ellen went straight from Dr. Eppard’s hands to my chest. She snuggled in and sucked her thumb.

You would think the second babe wouldn’t hurt as much.

Totally. Wrong.

The pain. Wow. Just wow.

Maggie was born like Ellen, breech, but in her bag of waters (which is a pretty incredible sight) at 7:44pm.

Just like her sister, she was transferred to my arms.

They lay face-to-face, holding hands, surrounded by peace, and held with love.

They were beautiful and identical and had what’s lovingly referred to in my family as “the Chisolm chin,” bless their hearts.

The room stayed silent, peaceful, and reverent. Our incredible nurse Samantha, who had now stayed passed her shift, gently lifted the blanket covering the girls to check for heart tones.

How lucky I feel to be the one holding them for the both the first and last beats of their hearts.

Have I mentioned how amazing my medical team was? Yes? Good.

The Dr. waited patiently for the placenta to come. Even though it took longer than he felt comfortable with, my bleeding was not excessive and he wanted to give my body the chance to do things on its own.

Nearly half an hour after Maggie’s birth the placenta finally detached and was delivered. As a birth professional I am fascinated with placentas. They are incredibly powerful and beautiful organs. Usually a healthy placenta is a nice dark purple color. Mine was bright red. Dr. Eppard took the time to exam it with us, showing us where the blood vessels that created the TTTS connected. How crazy - all this life and death and pain thanks to a few blood vessels.

Life is beautifully fragile.

My body continued to be strong and responded exactly the way it needed to. As soon as the infected placenta was out my fever began to break, my blood pressure and heart rate stabilized.

And seemingly all at once, everything became quite, everything became still.  

I was alive but empty.

Grateful but heartbroken.

The fight was over.

Our girls were gone.



We have been deeply moved by and grateful for the amount of support and love we have received from our family, friends, and community. You all have been Christ to us. Your cards, calls, donations, prayers, meals, etc. have given us the strength to wake up every day and keep breathing. 

We know this pain will be something we live with on some level or another for the rest of lives. We will carry this ache forever – always longing for the day when we will be united once again, in the presence of The Lord.

We are grieving and broken, yet we find peace and healing in knowing that even in our darkest moments, our God is with us – Emmanuel. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Reading this helps me grieve our miscarriages. Peace be with you.

Unknown said...

What an amazing account Sarah. Our heartfelt prayers are with you and Ray!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sarah. I respect you for sharing such personal pain and hurt that probably none of us can truly understand to the full extent that you and Ray do. Our thoughts and prayers for peace and comfort are with you. Sarah I have always seen you as mature, confident, and strong and spiritually grounded firmly beyond your years. I pray that God continues to give you that strength as you look for the way forward. Daniel & Natalia McMillan

Dougfam12 said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It is absolutely heartbreaking and I am so sorry. I pray for healing for you, your husband, Abigail, and your family and friends.

elisha said...

You are strong, you are beautiful and you are an amazing mother.
I can't even begin to explain the emotions that went through me as I read this. I am a twin born at 28weeks. I weighed 3lbs and my sister 2.5lbs. My mom has recounted our birth story very briefly. It brings her to tears each time because it was the scariest and best day of her life. We were born in '91 so medical advances weren't as advanced as they are today. The nurse in the delivery room stated, in front of my mother, that I would be lucky to survive a few weeks and my sister a few days.
My mom prayed and had an army of prayer warriors behind her and as I have been praying for you and your family I feel as though I have experienced a little of what she went through.
There is nothing like a mothers love and in your moments of pain and grief you were the best mother.
To God be the glory.

RLC said...

:'( ♡

Unknown said...

Thank you Sarah, for showing us the beauty in the midst of such unimaginable pain. I am in awe of you and all of the mighty warrior women I know whose bodies are pushed beyond their limits. As a mother of 5 and grandmother of 9 including two infants, I know the next time I hold any of them I will squeeze them a little tighter and think of precious Maggie and Ellen. Thank you for sharing your story. Blessings. Linda Flinn

Anonymous said...

Sarah, thank you for sharing…..I am so touched by this story and by you and your husband and family and all that you went through. I am praying for you. He is with you. God is with you and your family. He promised "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5. "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20. Your story reminded me of Christa Black Gifford. You two don't have the same story but just thought I would share her name with you. You can google her name and she has a website and blog. I don't know if hearing her story will help you during this time but just felt like I should share with you in case it does. Thank you again for sharing you are so bold to share such an intimate story. Thank you.

Catherine O'Neill said...

Words won't come. My heart aches for you. I have been keeping you guys in my prayers and will continue to do so. Achingly beautifully written blog, Sarah. Hugs to you.